Homeopath LondonHomeopathy is an alternative system of health care which assists the natural ability of the body to heal itself. It is one of the most widely used forms of medicine in the world today. It is safe, effective and treats people as unique individuals.
Homeopathic medicines (remedies) are made from plants, minerals, metals etc. They are selected to to treat the whole person: the mind and body operate as one. Homeopathic understanding of the human body is that you cannot treat one part of the body without affecting the whole. Physical disorders are considered in relation to the individual’s mental and emotional state. Individuality is key in Homeopathy – not everyone produces similar symptoms for the same condition.
Homeopathy can be used effectively by everyone, from babies and children to adults, including women during pregnancy. Homeopathic medicines help to promote the body’s natural ability to heal. When prescribed appropriately, they are safe, non-toxic and non-addictive. They can be taken alongside drugs prescribed by your doctor and will not interfere with their beneficial action. Read more about Homeopathy on the Alliance of Registered Homeopaths website.
History of Homeopathy
It was Samuel Hahnemann, a German doctor who practiced in the 18th and 19th centuries (1755-1843), who pioneered the use of Homeopathy and the principle of using medicines in high dilutions. He was concerned about the medical practices of his time and the side effects of medication such as Mercury which often compromised recovery. He used his knowledge, based on ancient Greek understanding of disease, to put together a totally revolutionary form of treatment. By isolating the energetic aspect of a substance and giving it in tablet form to his patients he was able to stimulate the body’s inherent ability to self heal.
Law of Similars
- In 1796 Samuel Hahnemann wanted to find out what effects common medicines really had on people. To do this, he took some doses of cinchona bark, which is the main ingredient in quinine. Quinine was and still is used to treat malaria.
- He found that on taking cinchona bark he produced symptoms like those of malaria, but when he stopped taking cinchona, the symptoms disappeared. The medicine had produced in a healthy person the same symptoms that it can cure in the sick. Hahnemann called this The Law of Similars. It means: That which makes sick shall heal or Like Cures Like This is the fundamental principle on which homeopathy is based, and which gave rise to its name (from two Greek words: homoeos = similar; pathos = suffering)
Homepathic Dosage (Potency)
- To minimise the toxic effects of these substances on provers, Hahnemann experimented with dosage.
- He found that when a remedy is repeatedly diluted and then shaken (succussed), it produces the clearest symptoms without harm to the prover.
- He called this process of serial dilution and succession ‘potentisation’. All homeopathic remedies are potentised to a greater or lesser degree
My approachI use an in-depth case taking approach, asking, amongst other things, about the personal and family history of illnesses, any traumas that have occurred, diet, lifestyle, sleep etc. I will ask what makes your complaint better and what makes it worse. This all helps me to build up a picture of the remedies that would be most effective for each individual patient. Homeopathy is very individualised, two people with the same symptoms may not require the same remedy as lots of factors are considered. I also give suggestions on diet and lifestyle etc.